I know… I know… its been long that anything has featured from cookalittlehealth.com. My apologies! I have been away for a while from my core … blogging! A big sorry to all my followers & without giving any more excuses lets get on with it!
I chose to start my next series on the most important meal of the day – BREAKFAST!
I know I am probably going to break so many hearts here while this list unfolds. Reason being, there are way too many people ( including myself sometimes) who start their day with so many of these items & fool ourselves thinking we are doing a fairly good task at managing our health. Time to bust those myths!
I am only going to name 6 of the most common unhealthy choices we make, probably daily!
- MAGGI – Unlike what Ms. Madhuri Dixit-Nene claims, eating Maggi (even the oats variant) after a healthy workout will just negate the effects of that workout you just had. Maggi, though the perfect comfort food, is one of the unhealthiest things you can eat. The fried noodles, the packaged spices, added flavours… There’s nothing natural or healthy about Maggi.
2. FRIED EGGS – Eggs are one of the most healthiest things you can eat. Packed with proteins & full of energy! But frying them just goofs it all up. It makes them a mass of calories and kills all the nutrients in them.One large egg fry can have as many as 120 calories!!! You can definitely add some veggies to it, make a nice fluffy omelette with controlled levels of oil & enjoy the goodness of the egg. Or even better, boil it.
3. CEREALS – This one is gonna shock you! Prepackaged and ready to eat breakfast cereals are sugared, high in salts, and have little or no nutritional value of the original grains they are made from. The cereals are only a mix of high fructose syrup and processed-till-the-nutrients-died corn. Having cereal is actually doing you a lot more harm than good.
4. ENGLISH BREAKFAST – I know the delectable sight of pancakes, sausages, fried egg & tangy baked beans has started to twirl in front of your eyes! But hang on, let me show you a little behind the scenes. Waffles/ Pancakes are made of processed wheat flour or maida which is extremely unhealthy. Also, fried sausages in the morning will only lead to cholesterol buildup among other things. The beans are not fresh and come out of a tin. Treating yourself once a while is fine but skip this on a daily basis.
5. POORI BHAJI – A super hit breakfast item pretty much all over India, this dish comes with its variants. While in some places the bhaji consists of potato chunks boiled and sauteed, in other places there is a mixed vegetable of sorts called kurma. Whatever the variation, the dish is extremely unhealthy. Puris are deep fried and potatoes are not the best vegetable to eat in the morning.
6. MEDHU VADA – A must in every South Indian household! Medu Vada is considered healthy as it has dal or lentils. Well, it is not. Black gram lentils are difficult for the body to break down and your body needs something easy to digest but healthy first thing in the morning, as it has been empty the whole night. Plus, medu vadas are fried adding to the unhealthy quotient
World’s come tumbling down?? Are you like thinking… ” What’s left ??”
Trust me… there is a lot more that can be done to make your mornings yummy.
Keep watching this space for more.
I will be featuring innovative, yummy healthy breakfast items soon!!!
Till then.. Eat healthy! Stay fit !